Thursday, June 7, 2007

Start spreadin' the news...

I finally have a start date for my NY Post internship--June 18, and I'm pretty excited. I got my first taste of the city this week when I went up to accept the Eric Breindel Award for Excellence in College Journalism. (Eric Breindel, by the way, was editorial page editor of the Post from 1986-1997; my internship comes as part of the award.)

The award ceremony was pretty sweet, and while I don't mean to drop names...well, yes I do. The winner of the corresponding professional award was Max Boot, about whom I've heard great things from my better-read friends. Mark Steyn, last year's winner, was there too, as was John Fund of the Wall Street Journal and several other notable pundits I didn't get to meet. Mayor Bloomberg was there, joking openly about his presidential chances.

There were also the bigwigs at News Corporation, which sponsors the award. Roger Ailes, president of Fox News, was emcee, and Rupert Murdoch made some remarks as well. From right to left, here's Rupert Murdoch, me, and Max Boot. Roger Ailes is on the end, and the woman between Boot and Ailes is Lally Weymouth, senior editor of Newsweek. Cool, huh?


I also got to meet some of the folks from the Post that I'll be working with. (I'm at the editorial page, by the way.) One of them, hearing that I went to Claremont, told me that I won't find anything "esoteric" about the Post. I'm thinking I might enjoy this internship.

By the way, here's the link to the article I won with. I wrote it last summer about homelessness in London, and it ran in the September 2006 Claremont Independent.

4 comments:

Casey said...

Hey John - congrats again, and I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say on here. I kept a blog for several years and found it to be both rewarding and pleasurable, and I wish you much the same. Take care.

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Editorial Page!!! (I'm not sure if you realize how much cooler that makes your job...and it might help you get dandy jobs elsewhere.)

Glad to hear it was London that made the difference. You know how much I like that piece.

And it sounds like there was an awesome gang there. Although, I think you should have made a crack to John Fund about his paper's silly stance on immigration.

Candy said...

Thanks for posting the link to your article. I honestly intended to skim it, but it ended up commanding my full attention. Very awesome.