Friday, August 3, 2007

Big News

As of today, I officially have a full-time job and a kick-ass apartment.

First, the job. I'm staying on at The Post, basically doing the same thing I've been doing, except now I have health benefits and a sweet-sounding title: Associate Editorial Page Editor. Along with that, however, I suppose this is as good a place as any to state for the record that the opinions expressed on this blog are entirely my own. At least the ones that might reflect poorly on the page as a whole.

And now the place--a near-miracle really. Within a period of five hours yesterday evening, I found, visited, and secured a room in an amazing apartment. I'll be moving into a 3-bedroom apartment in the Astoria section of Queens. It's only a 30-minute commute (10 min. walk, 20 min. subway) from Midtown Manhattan, and it's plenty big, with lots of bright windows and access to a roof with a sweet view of the Manhattan skyline. And the roommates seem pretty cool too. I'll post pictures of the view when I can. But for now, here's an article from the indispensable City Journal about Queens in general, which is by all accounts a very nice place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations John.

Associate Editorial Page Editor....boy, that does roll off the tongue nicely.

I've always wanted to have important friends in high places.

I look forward to more edification from a trustworthy source in NYC.

High high regards,

TOSM

Casey said...

Hmm, I may just have to read the Post more often... *grins* Congrats my friend - that rocks, plain and simple.

Karol said...

Congrats! Looking forward to reading you.

Richard A. Hightower Jr. said...

John-

Came across your blog on facebook (forgive me). Isn't the Forrest Gump scene taken from Dick Cavett (not Johnny Carson)?

John said...

Almost sure it was Carson. But I'm willing to be proven wrong.