Sunday, July 29, 2007

Hello out there?

Here's the deal:

I've been blogging semi-consistently for two months now, and it's time I got a good read on who's actually reading this thing. So here's your job: leave a comment on this post. Just let me know you stopped by--it will give me a better idea of whom, if anyone, I'm writing to.

This is important to me. I started this blog to keep in the practice of writing, to keep my friends informed of my exploits, and also because I thought I might have something interesting to say. So far, it's been a mixed experience. I realized very quickly that I had little interest in maintaining your standard minipundit outlet, consisting of frequent posts of interesting and newsworthy links followed by a paragraph or two of commentary. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not something I'm especially excited about, and I found the prospect of keeping up with the proverbial Joneses tiresome.

Well, it's really been a tiring experience anyway, which is why I haven't posted as often as I would have liked. I'm doing more writing than I expected for The Post, and it takes a lot out of me.

What compounds this even further is that I have very little idea who's out there. I'm in a position where I sometimes feel like I'm just spewing thoughts into cyberspapce with little purpose or method, which is a very unhealthy thing. A writer needs an audience, and he needs to write for that audience, or else his writing is an exercise in narcissism. (Or, if you prefer, "self-liberation," but let's not go there.) And as someone who's so used to parsing his words very carefully, I don't think I like it.

So, since this is your blog (whoever you are), feel free as well to comment on what you've liked or disliked, and what you'd like to see more of. More deep philosophical discussions? Should I bother to finish up my Gatsby or my Peter musings? More New York stories? Spiritual reflections--maybe an occasional brief take on the day's mass readings? Or should I just get my act together and post more frequently on all of the above?

But if that doesn't suit your fancy, don't worry about it. Just tell me who you are, and I'll guess as best I can.

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey John,

So i've been away for a few days and therefore just read your 4 most recent postings (including this one) all in one swoop. However, your blog still remains one of my first 3 tabs on my internet browser (right up there with my email and the news). You know me well enough to know that I'm not one to post controversial comments for all to see - if i'm going to have it out with you over something you write (you haven't given me much cause to do so...yet) I'll be more inclined to write you an email or call you. I do, however, enjoy reading up on the things you've been doing and thinking about as a way to stay at least somewhat connected to your life. That being said, I'm off this week, so we should talk on the phone. Give me a call on your walk home some evening. :-)

Micha

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TOSM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TOSM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey John,
I am interning in DC for the summer, and your blog has added much-needed moral and philosophical musings to my otherwise corporate-hack lobbyist filled days. I enjoy it all and encourage you to continue as much as possible on anything. It's nice to read something outside the beltway.

-Emily Pears

Anonymous said...

Hi John, My vote is for "All of the above" I've found your posts interesting, informative and sometimes provacative. Surprise! Your NY stories even brought back memories of the fifties and sixties, flying over and driving across the GW Bridge. Please keep up the good work! You have a loyal audience in Tennessee. Carl

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that others like to read anything you wanted to write. That's my vote. Mom

Adam S. McHugh said...

Blogging can be exhausting! The people who blog every single day are crazy people. I think it's important that you blog about what it is that YOU want to blog about, rather than what you think others want to read. That will be more energizing for you. To be honest, I'm not going to read your blog to get political commentary or insight. No offense, but you're 22 years old, and when I was 22, I didn't know Jack. I'm 31 now, and I've only recently met Jack and he hardly gave me the time of day. I will read your blog on occasion to see what you are up to and how life in NYC is treating you.

John said...

None taken. Although I'd have you know that Jack's actually a very good friend of mine.

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Must say I've thoroghly enjoyed and kept abreast of your assorted ponderings on God, writing, politics etc., but tell me, "Just how are you keeping your soul in the Big Apple?". g/g

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I've been reading the blog pretty regularly, but I'm not one to leave comments much of anywhere on the internet, so I probably won't leave too many here :) That said, I liked the post about Peter & the end of John, probably because of the Bible study on it at the end of the year too. And the NY stories are fun. The literature/politics stories are interesting, but I don't have the time to read all the linked articles, so I can't quite give them the attention they deserve. That said, definitely keep it up if you feel like it!

Peter S

Greg said...

Here loud and clear, John.

Casey said...

Heya John,
Sorry for the delayed response - I've been wandering around, of all places, the middle of nowhere, NY for the last two weeks or so and thus didn't have blog access. But yeah, I read and enjoy, and you should know that. Content... well, I like being surprised, and I love hearing what you're up to - which means I'm not picky. Congrats on the sweet new job and apartment, btw - when next I'm in the city, I'll be sure to look you up.

Casey

Anonymous said...

John,

Sorry for the late response, but I have very much enjoyed the musings you have posted on the blog. If you are up for it, I'd like to hear a little more about Peter. By the way, a friend in Phoenix showed me the book "Pope Fiction" by Patrick Madrid. It discusses several common misconceptions about the papacy. I've read some excerpts from it, and it seems very interesting. I'm planning to read the book on my trip to Budapest, but I thought you might be interested in it.

Kyle

Anonymous said...

John,

I've been out of town lately, but I do rather enjoy reading your blog when I can get the internet working.

Best,

Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
Here's another one of your intermittent readers. I'll probably become even more intermittent once the term starts, but whenever I tune in I enjoy reading your musings. They are quite well crafted. Congrats on the job title and apartment!
Wishing you many by-lines,
Tessa

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Aside from the fact we're complete opposites, I do enjoy reading your posts. It gives me a nice, refreshing perspective into how different people view things. I've always found your opinions interesting and well thought out. Keep posting whatever you want to post. Do not post based on what you think other people want because then you'd be lying to yourself. Always be truthful to who you are.

-Jorge

P.S. Sorry I didn't post earlier. I read your blog about once a month. :)